I got the official word this morning that I have been accepted into that geek-o-luxe, type-alicious MATD program at the University of Reading (UK, not PA). Yeeeee-hah!
As the program director pointed out in his e-mail, this was not a huge surprise — we'd already determined that it would be a mutual good fit when I was there in January — but it's nice to know that all the application paperwork has been properly filed and sorted out now. All I have to do is keep filing various forms and following up on stuff for the next six months.
Yup, six months — almost to the day — and then I'll finally get the hey out of this country for a while, which I’ve been trying to do to some extent or another for at least 15 years. It's almost been ten years now since I returned to New York, too, and I definitely think I’m ready for a break. Half of that decade was fun and zany, and it feels like the other half was consumed by some kind of melodrama or another. I’m actually looking forward to taking a break for a while in small(ish) town and an unfamiliar setting where I can fully geek out once and for all without working so damn hard just to get around and juggle my four or five jobs.
So six more months of scrimping, saving, trying to earn as much scratch as humanly possible, and sorting out the endless details of putting life on hold for a year or so. I’ve secured a place to live in the UK, but I need to sublet my pad in Bed-Stuy so I can return (and store stuff while I’m away). I have to make sure I know the ins and outs of getting health care over there. I need to get rid of a lot of stuff (yet again). I have to stay on top of my loan paperwork. I have to...
Aw hell, I can worry about a lot of that stuff tomorrow. Tonight, I’m just super-psyched to know my patience and diligence has come to fruition.
And now I can get that next tattoo, which I’ve been saving until I finally made it back into grad school:
1) Barry: Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. Good luck with the healthcare arrangements. That's alway the "exciting" part of us wanna-be expatriates. (Mar 28, 2006 11:41 PM)
2) Lee: Congrats!! (Mar 28, 2006 11:45 PM)
3) Matt: Congrats! (Mar 28, 2006 11:56 PM)
4) Dave: Hey, congrats Dan! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time over there :) Will catch up in NYC before you go ... I'll be over there late August for a week or so, which I'm really looking forward to. Dust off the frosted cherry Pop Tarts in anticipation! ;) (Mar 29, 2006 6:38 AM)
5) sam: Many congratulations! I might be looking for a place in six months... (Mar 29, 2006 11:25 AM)
6) Lubin Odana: Hurrah we'll be neighbours, sort of! (Apr 3, 2006 11:11 AM)
7) Sparky: At the very least, we'll be able make regular buest appearances on each other's shows! (Apr 3, 2006 11:26 AM)
8) Ellen: CONGRATS Danny! It'll all work out. Miss ya! xox Ellen (Apr 11, 2006 9:42 PM)
Post a comment
Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)
(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)