« Got My Dander Up | Main | Archives | Bleary-Eyed »

It's Fundamental

In better news, I’ve been offered a spot in the typeface design program I’ve been investigating. It was awfully nice to feel such giddiness and awe about all the work they're doing, and then have them say that my weird, hodge-podge background has been perfect preparation for what goes on there.

I’ve always been a bit ambivalent about the more general graphic design programs I’ve looked into, no matter how badly I wanted to get into them. The longer I’ve worked as a designer, the more I’ve discovered areas of design I don't want to bother with. I had no idea there was something out there with all the bits I like but not the bits I loathe. (Well, maybe "loathe" is too strong a word, but you get the idea. Let's just say "redundant" or "extraneous" or something.) It's no mystery that I’ve always been a type geek, but I had no idea there was actually a way to study just that. No one but me has ever seemed to see the thread connecting the various kinds of work I’ve done over the years, so it's especially gratifying to hear that it's all been excellent preparation for what I’ve been too intimidated to try. I always thought type design was too big, too complicated, too important for a schlub like me to consider, but maybe I’d been building up to it all along.

So, assuming I can sort out all the stuff with the loans, it looks like I’m moving to England next October. Zoinks! More developments to come, no doubt.

Comments (16)

1) Faustus, M.D.: It couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow. Congratulations! (Jan 23, 2006 7:13 AM)

2) Matt: Congrats! (Jan 23, 2006 8:59 AM)

3) jon collins: yay! congrats! Go umlauts! (Jan 23, 2006 9:28 AM)

4) Jeff: The University of Reading? Don't you already know how to read? I guess it's an appropriate name for a school with a typeface design program. Anyway... congratulations! :) (Jan 23, 2006 11:54 AM)

5) João: Congratulations, Dan!! You will also be a bit closer!! (Jan 23, 2006 12:34 PM)

6) Joey: That is SO cool! Congratulations. And remember to make a pilgrimage to the Gaol while you're in Reading. (Jan 23, 2006 1:11 PM)

7) Aaron: "No one but me has ever seemed to see the thread connecting the various kinds of work I've done over the years, so it's especially gratifying to hear that it's all been excellent preparation for what I've been too intimidated to try" My gawd, that's inspiration for us all. Rock! (Jan 23, 2006 2:42 PM)

8) Frankenstein: Congratulations and felicitations! (Jan 23, 2006 3:27 PM)

9) sam: Congratulations! My brother did a program at Reading. At least it's only an hour from Paddington. (Jan 23, 2006 4:07 PM)

10) Dave: Hey Dan, congrats ... grabbing things by the horns is what life's all about :) Hope to catch up this summer in NYC on my travels and before you go! (Jan 24, 2006 3:23 AM)

11) Mom: Couldn't be happier for you! It will certainly be a great experience for you as well as extending you opportunity to bigger and better things in your future. Maybe I'll even get your Dad to make a trip to England next year! (from my lips to God's ear!) (Jan 24, 2006 10:25 AM)

12) Dan, too: WWOO HOO!!! Go Sparky! This just means I have to make the trip back to NYC before you leave so we can hang around town! Thanks for the good excuse :) (Jan 24, 2006 10:18 PM)

13) Lee: WOOT! Congrats, Dan!! (Jan 24, 2006 11:26 PM)

14) landry: dan i am so happy for you. and who cares about the loans? Its that sort of passion for something that makes other people think about it a bit more and just think you could be like this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Labov and create your very own field to work and be an expert in. (Jan 25, 2006 10:05 PM)

15) Andy: Congratulations! What a great decision. And a great university! (Jan 25, 2006 10:12 PM)

16) Ellen: Danny! Congrats bro! Go for it! Can't wait to see you in England! Loans, schmoans! (Jan 26, 2006 4:30 PM)